Saturday, March 27, 2010

This Catchphrase

I would like to talk about a whiny catchphrase that seems to have caught on even among Christians, particularly my generation. Many seem to talk about how their life sucks. (Dictionary: informal "be very bad, disagreeable, or disgusting") While I want to balance my response between something like, "Grow up" and "Aw...Let me give you a hug," it seems that such comments are made by people who do not necessarily have a strong biblical perspective. And I say that carefully. I readily admit my tendency to react against something and hold too strong of an opinion [which is immunity to being told you're wrong/paper, rock and scissors they all have their pros and cons]. I also think that it's wrong to compare ourselves to starving kids in Africa (to borrow a cliche) and tell ourselves to buck up because we have it so much better than so many people! (Which is why I kinda get annoyed when people term Nick Vujicic's story as "inspiring.")

Irregardless, nevertheless, notwithstanding, I would like to proclaim a dehortative on the phrase, "My life sucks," and place it against the cohortative, "I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth." It's a tough balance. Sometimes there is the gritting of teeth. I leave room for sympathy. I exclude all "giddy happy-go-luckiness." But there is something at stake here - our attitude. Prayer is important. I have found that Psalm 34:1 is not a cure all, but it is a proper focus. And if we want excellent, Spirit-led lives...then why not?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

If this was facebook, I would "like" your post

Dani said...

Sam: Ohhh my goodness, you SO just hit a nerve with me. If it weren't redundant I would get into a huge rant about the truth of what you just wrote. THANK you.

ps- RA and I were just sitting in a familiar Akron Barnes and Nobles discussing the likelihood of whether or not we will ever see you again this side of heaven. *sigh!*