Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ideas Have Consequences

I love Christmas. Really, I do. I was born 10 days before it at 9:37AM on a Thursday. I love it. I've been enjoying my break from 18 hours of school and stuff. I've been reading C.S. Lewis' space trilogy and an apologetic book: I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. Here's an adapted outline:

Problems with Christianity

Emotional obstacles to Christianity: Christian exclusivism, the doctrine of hell, and the hypocrisy of Christians are emotional roadblocks to just about everyone.
Volitional obstacles: Morality, which seems [my emphasis] to restrict our choices in life. We don't want to answer to anyone, especially an omniscient being: the God of the universe - especially one who spoke billions of galaxies into existence. Scary? The issue is not refusing the evidence. It's not wanting to accept the evidence. It's a choice, based on a desire. And since there is more evidence for God and Creation, it takes more faith to be an atheist. (Premise of the book)

Geisler and Turk also have a great section on agnosticism. It's like being empty minded they say - a refusal to do anything with the evidence. They'd rather say, "I don't know" about the question of God, then "Yes" or "No."

Just read the book. I am. :-)

2 comments:

Mel said...

So this is what you do when you don't have hw. :)

I'll read it when you're done.

Dorcas said...

Hey Sam!
Have a very Merry Christmas!!