Monday, December 28, 2009

My Christmas and a Couple of Pet Peeves

Christmas was amazing. I got out of the hospital, my family drifted in and finally all eight of us were home. Briana was adorable and it was wonderful to have her home, but when I got woken up by her crying several mornings I just decided in my mind that I was never having any kids. In fact, spending the holidays around so many kids has just been great birth control for me.

Irregardless, I had a wonderful time opening gifts and eating big meals with families. I also refuse to list here everything that I got for Christmas; it's rather pointless. And no I didn't receive underwear, just books and clothes and stuff.

It started snowing last night and I'm so glad! We are getting accumulation and everything is white outside. I love it. It's good payback too, because I was feeling gipped. It's still snowing right now, so that's dope.

Despite the happiness, I still manage to have a lot of stomach pain and stuff. I also caught something last night and felt very nauseated this morning. I vomited mucus and air and it was very painful. I've been trying to sleep it off. I just feel horrible.

I started reading The Church of Facebook recently in a bookstore out of curiosity. I'm afraid it's much too unhelpful but I haven't finished it yet. Basically it talks about how the social networking website changes the way we are connected to each other as people. I don't know about you, but I find myself checking my Facebook account like I check my e-mail, or even when I'm bored, and I hate that. Frankly, there is so much personal communication that we use Facebook to substitute for and I doubt it's very healthy. Sometimes I just feel so impersonal and it's disappointing and sickening me.

Furthermore, a couple of things just bug me about reading books. Firstly, I hate it when the table of contents is very vague. I've seen Tables of Content that are just a bunch of nouns ending in -tion. It drives me crazy. I've started to actually pay attention to the TOC because it usually helps to get an outline, overview of the book whether you are reading it or to see if you want to read it. Somebody needs to tell these authors! Bah. So unhelpful. Secondly, I hate-hate-hate those little quotes from the book inserted into the text. I don't know what to call them. Sneak peeks or previews? Or book quotes? Frankly, I think it's unintelligent to add these. First they distract me from reading the text, and secondly they don't really add anything to the book. If I think it's important I'll underline or highlight it. I don't need you to insert a quote that you think is important or interesting. Sometimes the sneak quotes or just plain dumb, like you just read it and then it quotes it again in the text. I just don't read them because they are taken directly from the book anyway and I'm already reading the book! Can I just read the book?

So yea...

3 comments:

Alanna said...

I AGREE! I hate those quotes too. It's like they're just trying to fill up an empty spot. Just give me no quotes and ten less pages to read. LoL.

Sorry you're feeling so sick. :( This is no comparison, but I'm getting ready to start my third round of antibiotics. Anyway. Sickness is no fun.

And I too hate the impersonality (is that even a word?) of my life. I think instead of speading so much time on FB, I will call or meet my friends to TALK about life, ya know. So, what I'm trying to say is we need to visit CE soon! :P

Joseph said...

Actually I think face book promotes communication that we would otherwise go without. I know my situation is a little different being in a different country. I really haven't noticed The book quotes except in magazines so it just never really bothered me but I guess I'm probably less "well read" than you. I hope your feeling better by now I don't know if I got what you had but it is still bothering me *sniff*.

Sam said...

Joe, I agree with you. It does offer communication that might not otherwise be possible. But I think that it's a different type of communication. My argument is that we are communicating differently. Does it affect us? I dunno.

I hope you are feeling better.