Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snowy Roads and the Radio

Riding home (with my brother); taking turns driving; scanning the radio for Christmas songs.

Popular pop song (#6 on the charts) floats by and says: "And no, you don’t wanna mess with us...Got Jesus on my neck-a-lace" I've heard the song before. I did a music research project for a contemporary youth issues class at college. (Very beneficial, the class AND the researching) But Jesus on my necklace? What does that have to do with anything? It really is irrelevant to the point of the song.

Frankly, it astounds me what profane nonsense our current pop culture spouts. Also, there is another song that includes a reference to Mary and Joseph. (Bottoms Up; This one is #9 on the charts) Let me give you the lyrics and explain. After 7 expletives and references to drugs and waving around a gun, the song includes these words: "Rest in peace to Anna Nicole Smith/Yes, my dear, you're so explosive/Say hi to Mary, Mary and Joseph"

Anna Nicole Smith was an actress, model and sex goddess. She gained popularity through Playboy, but most of the attention surrounded her marriage of an oil tycoon that was 63 years her senior. She died of a drug overdose in a Florida hotel.

And to this woman the musician tips his hat. Saying, "When you're in heaven, say hi to Mary and Joseph for me." Are you serious? You're just rhyming with "explosive." That's all.

And so these religious references in ungodly songs show us where are culture is bedded. It's astonishing, and yet revealing.

1 comment:

Alanna said...

Our world is so deceived, so twisted, so confused. God help us.