Monday, November 26, 2007

I know it's late, but...

Two things:
I know it's late...

1st:
I was listening to a Christian radio station on the way back to school tonight. I heard a popular Christian figure and his co-host listing the good, bad, and ugly on the Christmas season political correctness issue. Namely taking "Christmas" out of everything -signs, banners, even our friendly greetings. I find this very hilarious and ridiculous. Sure, its an subtle rejection on Christ himself but to take "Christmas" out of Christmas is just insane. I think religious and non-religious people alike find it crazy. [I'm not sure I see myself as a "religious" person, but rather one who believes in a relationship with Jesus Christ] Point? The term Christmas and the Christmas holiday are so much a part of the winter celebration in the United States that to take it out of our store signs and the way we greet each other is very amusing to me.
My case is this: I find it very revengeful to boycott certain stores because they sell "family trees" or say "Happy Holidays!" instead of "Merry Christmas!" Are not we as Christians supposed to overcome evil with good? I doubt there is a way to find a podcast of the radio broadcast but he just seemd very "pro active" about it, in I believe, the wrong way. Not that taking Christ of out Christmas is okay with me, but that not buying from a list of certain stores or canceling ad suscriptions (as the host mentioned he did) will make a difference. I believe instead of talking and complaining about how bad it is that Christmas is being taken out of everything we should loudly proclaim "Merry Christmas" to all, and remember the joy of our Savior Jesus Christ. So with much sarcasm I say, "Happy Holidays!" ...err Merry Christmas! *smiles* See www.family.org or www.citizenlink.org for further reading.

2nd:
I think that I as a Christian am unprepared. Perhaps a lot of us are. Here's what I mean: In Teen Power prayer meeting tonight we talked about this. My fear is that we get ourselves into a routine and although we pray, when God acts we don't know what to do. The last thing I want to do is to be a spectator, but rather a participator. However, I'm just not certain we are ready. Are we qualified? Yes. Only by Jesus Christ's blood and God's calling in our life. But I believe we lack a faith of action, one that says "God I know You'll do this according to Your will." not, "God please do this, if it's Your will." Maybe its our ever popular confusion of what God's will is. I find it in Jesus' ministry. He said, "I come to seek and to save that which was lost." The verse that I think of is I Peter 3:15: "In your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." [NIV] I ask that God would break me and help me to develop a passion and love for the kids [affectionate slang for teens] here in Cinci.

-Sam

No comments: