Thursday, February 26, 2009

Warning:

A metaphor is a code book. A simile is like a pillow.

In reference to television in one his sermons: "People use it as a babysitter - keeps 'em quiet. Damns their soul, but keeps 'em quiet." -Dr. Brown

One the way home my college friend asked me what I thought the two biggest issues are today in working with youth. It didn't take me long to think of them. I paused and thought. "Relationships and sex." I replied. With my passion for youth, and current work and study in youth ministry I cannot deny this or not be aware of it either. With our messed up dating system, young people are more and more confused and misled by sociey on what healthy relationships are. Whether healthy same sex or opposite sex relationships, but especially the latter. Secondly, the chemicals are being ignited and unfortunately bad choices lead to consequences. Sex ranks in my opinion as one of the leading problems as well, if not the top problem. To my surprise and confirmation, she told me her youth leader back at home, concurred with my opinion.

Then out of the blue she just commented, "And your car smells like herbal essences." I laughed wholeheartedly to this. "Ummm...thanks." I said. I then explained that my Mom gave me Green Apple car fresheners for Christmas. I still laugh about this. Not only that but as we were traveling along the highway, she looks out over the fields, and snow, and farms, and perhaps a few horses, and describes the country as "classy and romantic". I laughed again and told her, "Yea, thanks. You're describing the area where I live as classy and romantic. Wow."

Tony invited me to play volleyball with our cousins and himself on Monday. I came over. It's a brilliant idea really. All the girls were at his sister-in-law's baby shower, so all the guys get together for pizza and fierce volleyball. So glad I got to hang out with him. Also told Dwayne about the computer monitor I brought home to shoot. He's like, "No. Bring it over. We'll blow it up." We both laughed. I agreed.

You may have the permission to look at me strange following this news: I have disciplined myself while home on break to complete lots of homework. Yes, yes. Okay, honestly, stop shaking your head. And I've done lots. It's a good feeling.

Tuesdays itinerary was not replete with friends. Went out to eat with Denver, Amber, Dani, RuthAnn, Angela, Keith and myself. Following, we went to [please don't laugh] Pet's Pajamas, and petted some of the puppies there. I took a casual, masculine approach to this intoxication of cuteness. Following, we graced the presence of B&N, complete with stand up relationship discussion and sit down theological discussion. Edifying is the adjective.

I went downtown today and met Netania at CC Coffee Shop. [Learned something new - Hers is a Hebrew name, like mine.] I had coffee and we talked of being adults and the old high school days. Refreshing.

I donned t-shirt and flip-flops and gave Toby a bath today since it was moderately warm. Then I played with Callie and got her all excited, but not without mud on my toes and arms. After supper Mom and I talked while I made chocolatechipcookies. Something I appreciated and made me feel home.

"I'm hoping. Spring - maybe - soon." -my brother Josh

Random.

-Sam

2 comments:

Dani said...

Sam! Your ruse of cool masculinity didn't fool us. We knew you were just as intoxicated as the rest of us. Only to a lesser degree.
Or...
...something.

Christy said...

Since when do pets have pjs?
Wish I could say as much about the homework. The gold star goes to you. :-)