Saturday, August 23, 2008

Change

seems inevitable. However, whichever metaphor of life we want to use we still cannot escape it. We are in an odd relationship with change. It affects us so deeply, but we also have control over change as we alter circumstances by our actions and decisions. Of course what makes it so suffocating is that there are things that will never be the same. Change has affected us so deeply in ways that can never be resurrected.

The passing of time has brought about much change here: new people, new faces, old faces with different jobs, new roommates, new dormmates. And perhaps it is the hourglass of time that is to be blamed here, but we are bound by time and change. We cannot escape.

But before you mourn let me declare hope. Within this cage of time and change lies choice. It is the key that unlocks the prison and the hands that sculpt the clay. It does not provide a gung-ho attitude, but rather an approach to life that says I can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens me. And from this foundation we lay a framework of determination, hard work, enthusiasm, goals, dreams, perseverance and wisdom.






Semester Goals

1. Continue to affect the culture of my college in a positive way.
2. Grow and mature spiritually in my relationship with God
3. Obtain a job and work steadily
4. Study diligent to excel academically
5. Learn to balance sociality and academia
6. Discipline myself to do what I must
7. Affect those I encounter with the passion I have for Christ

8 comments:

Dorcas said...

Sam,
So sorry that I didn't get to tell you goodbye before you went back to school. I had to make a trip to "heaven" :o)) I understand though that you'll be home soon!! I pray you have a great year at college!!

Anonymous said...

Like the thoughts here Sam...makes me think alot about how I look at change and how I handle it. Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam, just wanted to pop in and say hi. I love the pictures from your vacation; very descriptive. I'm off to Asia and I'm SAD (to tears!) that I'm missing the baptism at church... but my heart will be there with you all. ~Dani

Anonymous said...

"Change and decay in all around I see; O Thou who changest not, abide with me."

Abide With Me

Leanna said...

I like your desk area:)

Anonymous said...

I must confess I got stuck in the first paragraph and began to mourn over times never to be reclaimed before you told me not to mourn. Thank you for the declaration of hope over something that seems a constant struggle for me.

Angie said...

Mr.Sam... I needed this today... I will definately miss the car-pooling to church! See ya around sometime - probably.

Alanna said...

As has already been said - the "change" paragraph is quite profound. You've got the right perspective - thanks for sharing.