Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Making Exits From Regret

Woke up today to a beautiful sunset. I awoke from a 16 hour slumber. I can hardly believe it myself. I suppose it's a long needed catch up on sleep. College will drain you. I know. I walked out on my back deck this evening after I woke up, ate, showered, and I whispered, "I'm home." Home: it's so refreshing. I read a quote recently that I really believe is true, "It's not the home I love, but the life that's lived there." Leaving "home" in Cincinnati was bittersweet. As much as I love school and enjoy living in Cincinnati at GBS with all my friends, there is nothing like home. It was in the upper 50's as I stood there admiring the sunset and breathing in the air, listening to the birds sing. I doubt it's anything new at home, but I thank God for it. It's just good to be home.

So before all this I spent yesterday packing my life up and packing my car with (almost) all my earthly belongings. I proclaim myself to be an expert packer. I spent a year and a half before coming to college delivering cabinets from a semi-truck & trailer. We also had to repack the boxes before moving to our next stop, so I've learned how to make things fit. I ended up not being able to see out my back window, but all the doors successfully shut and everything fit. In addition to all of my stuff I had to fit two suitcases and three bags of Christy's in the mix. It was so exciting, packing up to go home. After a room check, approval, and signatures from staff, I made exits from regret


and left the dorm amid the falling rain. In fact I packed most of my stuff in the rain. Christy described it in one melancholic word, spoken melodramatically, "sorrow!" It's an interesting feeling, giving farewell words and embraces to all my friends. The best thing is, this is not the end.

I began the trip home by stopping by the Barr's for a party and enjoyed some time there. I want to say that I wasn't eager to don t-shirt and sandals as soon as I left campus, rather it is what I chose to put on after my shirt got wet and my socks and shoes were soaked from packing in the rain. Nevertheless I finally departed from Cinci at 930 last night after more goodbyes. As a note to every one of my friends, I wanted to say that you have been awesome this past year at college. You have made me smile and laugh so much. I am really grateful for you and I know God has blessed me through you. The conversations we've had and the times we've shared are etched in my mind and they will always bring me happy memories. Basically, you guys are awesome!

We were at lunch yesterday and I wrote a to-do list on my hand. So in good nature my friends added to this list. Here is what was written: 1) Pack. 1a) Buy Mel food 2) Go home today. 3) Have fun. 4) Get lost. 5) Get a tatoo. I crossed off packing and having fun. Then for the more difficult things, I technically did not go home yesterday because I arrived at home at about 2:22 AM (which is today). Also, I bought food, but it wasn't technically for Mel. And I kind of got lost in thought when I was really tired and talking with Christy to stay awake. Can I count the to-do list on my arm as the tattoo? Hehe.

It was a long trip h-o-m-e. Christy and I discussed the weather, food, summer plans, personality, God, and dreams. I stopped half way home for some cheaper car fuel and some human fuel as well. Christy pegged it when she said, "Coffee is happy." Depsite the length of the trip it was a good ride home. I enjoy driving in the night, it's different from what most people do. Driving down that back country road though was a bit nerving. I encountered green eyes glowing of all different kinds. I saw 1 possum, 2 rabbits, 2 cats, 2 raccoons, and 2 deer. I almost hit one of the cats, and the oppossum AND one of the coons. The animals were everywhere! I blasted really loud music after dropping Christy off to stay awake til I got home. As aforementioned I arrived home really early and unloaded all of my stuff out of the car, during which my mom woke up and came out to see me. I greeted her and expressed that it was good to be home. I also told her that I would love to talk but that I was too tired and was going to bed. And then I did.

One more thing before I leave. I was thinking why it's so good to be home. So here's a short list:

Reasons Why It's Good To Be Home
1. Water. It's always hot. The pressure is always strong.
We even have a massaging shower head that I turned on.
2. Food. It's always good. I enjoyed the two tasty steaks I had for supper tonight
3. Bathroom. It's pretty much always clean.
4. Bed. Need I say more about my bed at home?
5. The Country. It's beautiful out here, really. And I plan on camping out soon.
6. Freedom. I can do almost whatever.
7. My Mom. She's just awesome.

Well I believe that's a round trip.
Writing later,
Sam

3 comments:

Phil & Sue Arnold said...

It was good to see you again and I'm glad you made it home safely.

Leanna said...

Awesome post! I agreed on so many things, but the quote about home pretty much nails it, doesn't it? It so felt like time to live the "home" life again to me too. I'm not sure I can accept the tatoo on the hand as fulfilling the list. Maybe at Cedar Point you can check that off your list in a more legitimate fashion:)

Alanna said...

Glad you made it home. When you talked about all the animals you encountered going home, it made me think of "Open Season." Anyhoo...enjoy the hot water and the good food! :)