Monday, June 30, 2008

My Sister Got Married

Yup.

She did.

We left home Thursday and headed to Cinci, acquired a hotel in Eastgate and settled in.



Next we went and picked up our tuxes in Florence. Afterwards we went to the church for rehearsal. Things went smoothly. I found out almost everything I had to do and where I had to be. All accomplished we drove to Olive Garden for the rehearsal dinner. It was good, I enjoyed the evening.


Friday consisted of a early morning to fall asleep to. I stirred, mid morning. Early afternoon when the ladies came back our family went to Subway. Slight addition: Alanna came over since she lives not so far away. We had previously planned to hang out. She ate with us then Alanna and I went grocery shopping. Yay! Something I rarely do, grocery shopping with a friend. It was fun. We hit up the Eastgate mall afterwards and mostly browsed and talked. I enjoyed chatting Alanna!

In the evening we went to George's nursing graduation ceremony downtown. I sat next to Ryley, his niece, who despite her misbehavior was amusing me muchly. She's a big talker, and we played some games to hold her attention, but while we were waiting we were talking back and forth (more her than me) and somehow it came up about being an adult. I asked her if I was a kid, She said no, and that I looked like a grown up. It was because of my grown up shirt, she said. (I was wearing brown striped dress shirt with khakis.) After a few more seconds of conversation she commented, "You look like a smart grownup." I laughed and told her thanks.

Of all surprises I found friends at the graduation. I was able to talk to Sarah afterwards and we decided to hang out later on. My family went to Max & Erma's and then we went back to the hotel.


After this I just headed on over to Sarah's. We stayed up real early and just hung out and talked. It was something I needed, just being able to hang out with a friend and talk about a lot of things. Gracias Sarah!

"Big day" Saturday. We went for pictures @ 115 in Eden Park.





Then at 3 we went over to the church and got all prepared. I felt suave in a tux, but felt odd that this was my sister's wedding. "This-is-actually-it. It's-happening-right-now" type feelings. Nevertheless things went fine. Here's a little list of what I did. 1. Usher people into sanctuary. 2. Light candles up front with my brother. 3. Walk Rochelle down the aisle. 4. Walk back discreetly on the side. 5. Roll out aisle runner with TJ. 6. Stand up front with groomsmen. 7. Watch Katrina walk down. 8. Read poem as part of reading that my brothers and I did. 9. Go back and stand; watch my sister's wedding unfold 'til completion. 10. Exit the scene. Oh, so simple! Actually, I simplify because there are so many details. I reserve the rest for my friends.




After the wedding we had even more pictures then we rode in the limo over to the reception. The food was very tasty and it was nice being served. After the meal they did all the formal wedding regularities: cut the cake, give speeches, throw the bouqet and garter, and dance. Rochelle and I danced a slow dance with the wedding party and then I quickly exited the dance floor as the partying started. A couple of people asked me why I wasn't out there. My reasons are that I prefer not to publicly embarrass myself, my dancing is not smooth, and I don't have the nerve. Basically if I dance, I'm rocking with a guitar. For the rest of the evening I mostly hung out, talked with family and relaxed as much as I could. I crashed that evening, then packed up and left the hotel Sunday. We went to Rochelle's church in Price Hill west of Cinci. Lunch was at Rochelle's apartment with my family, my aunt and uncle and my grandparents. We headed back Sunday afternoon and I was only able to make it south of Columbus before I handed the wheel to mom and then fell asleep at shotgun.

The weirdest thing about this wedding was facing the reality of it. I suppose it's the biggest reality of the summer. Well, weddings are weddings. I'm convinced that anyone can have them. Ceremonies are easy. All you need is someone to marry

And that's the update.
-Sam

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Your welcome Sam. I enjoyed it also. Your sister was beautiful. Nice pictures. Glad you made it through it

Alanna said...

thanks for the pics. beautiful family. enjoyed being with you muchly. i like fragment sentences and the word "muchly". lol

Dorcas said...

All the family pictures are soooo good!! You guys look handsome in your tuxes. Surely some girl will look on here and track you down :o)) Glad you're back home safe & sound!

Anonymous said...

We were just too hot that day wern't we!