Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Thinker

So I was wondering today...dangerous, I know. What happens if we actually believe what people say about us? Many questions have nagged my mind and I have learned to dismiss them with a graceful rudeness. We are not people destined to people's words and opinions of us. Although words are heavy influences of what we do, they must not convince us. My fear is that we believe what people say of us, and they most certainly mean well, but it leads me to doubt and question who I really am. It's really like a prophecy fulfilled. Tell me something, and I will wrestle with it, question it in my mind, and eventually believe it and become that person, or do what they have said about me. For explanation, some examples may be: your self-perception/self-esteem, your career, your dreams, and even your interest in a certain member of the opposite sex. I have really found wisdom and guidance in the Holy Spirit on this one. I can't really be specific but only as to say this: whatever people may say about me doesn't shape who I really am. I still have the God-given capacity to choose and to choose well, through His strength and help. I've learned that I am blessed when my strength is in God. Remember, you have the choice!

I also thought of the importance of not getting caught up in the mundane, everyday life of college. I sensed the Spirit telling me this morning not to get caught up (as I mentioned) and not to give up on the dreams He gave me. Not just sometimes, but very often it is so easy to look back and wonder, "Wait a second, what am I doing? I have gotten so caught up in life, that I have forgotten who I am, what I am here for, where I'm going, and the plans God has for my life". As "Waking The Dead" puts it, "To live in ignorance of spiritual warfare is the most naive and dangerous thing a person can do...It's like swimming with great white sharks, dressed as a wounded sea-lion and smeared with blood". We do not realize that we are in a battle, and the best thing Satan can do for our destruction is to just get distracted with school, with life...we must realize this! Without recognition of this spirtual battle, without doing our very best to be in the most intimate relationship with God, we are standing tall on the turret of the tank headed directly into battle ready for failure.

"Blessed are those who strength is in you...No good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." -Psalms 84:5a,11b-12 NIV

Simply,
Sam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well put. I agree that it is extremely easy to let what people say about you dictate who you become. I've been there before. But, thank the Lord, I was able to stop listening and be who the Lord wanted me to be. People are way too quick to judge someone or make assumptions without getting to know the person. Guess that's life! Stay strong! You are in my prayers as I hope I am in yours!

Leanna said...

Wow! That's deep. Do you ever think there is room, though, for putting significance in what other people say about/to you? Sometimes those comments especially to a young impressionable person (not saying this is what you are:) can really help them live up to their potential. I agree in the fact that you shouldn't let it squish you into a mold. (Not a big supporter of molds:)