Monday, March 17, 2008

Lab

So lab was actually fun tonight, and I managed not to be affected by the sodium hydroxide (NaOH) which accidentally spilled on my hand. The label stated it is a severe tissue irritant. However, I have not experienced any results....yet! Ah, yes, test tubes, beakers, bunsen burners, things burning and turning colors, drops of iodine, alcohol, phenolphthalein solution: this is what Science lab is all about. Results! The fun stuff. I'm a results kinda guy.

I have a large list of homework in my black book which must be finished by tomorrow, to which I must quickly attend to. Today's chapel skit went well. It was truly a pleasure eating doughnuts in chapel dressed casually. I was very pleased how it went off. I am hoping (if it does its job right) that the drama will cause people to actually do something about the world around them.

You should've seen Brent pouring the leftover solutions from the test tubes into the disposal beaker. We wanted something to blow up!

Happy St. Patricks Day!
In honor of my Irish ancestry:
Excerpt from Veggie Tales Story of St. Patrick

Narrator: "They even worshipped pond scum."
Irish people: "Oh great pond scum!"
Then St. Patrick begins to speak,
St. Patrick: "God is like a shamrock."
Irish people: "Ooooooh, great shamrock!"
St. Patrick "No. No. No! God is like a shamrock. Three in one."

Maewensockit has a rather nice ring to it.

-Mr. Sam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NaOH, if quickly washed from your skin, will most likely not cause any irritation. If you didn't see any reasons to be concerned (i.e. swelling or discoloration) after a out half an hour, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

On a much brighter note, sodium hydroxide is some fun stuff. You can make some fun compounds that do fun things when flames are added. :) If I'm not mistaken, there is an interesting compound that can be made from sodium hydroxide that will turn your skin yellow if you are exposed to its fumes. (It's been awhile, but I'm thinking it had to do with heating up this with a sulfuric compound.)

I had to stop with the chemistry, because I knew just enough to be dangerous. Actually, a couple of science teachers in high school confronted me over a few "experiments" I was performing in the basement of my house. One of them even said I was endangering my fellow students...and even my family. It's an interesting story that I haven't thought of in years. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. But still, I must abstain from science. I don't trust myself to keep it safe. My solution to this lacking? I'm marrying a chemical engineer. Ah, life is good once again.

Have a great week!

Alanna said...

(smile) You, Brent, and chemicals are not a good mix! :) I don't think I've seen the St. Patrick's Veggie Tale movie -- I need some deep theological entertainment. :)