Monday, March 10, 2008

Update!

I used to think. Now I....well, my mind has been stretched and stretched. Wrestling with sheets of thought pulled and twisted this way and that. I was thinking just now (dangerous, I know) and I thought of it. Here is what it was: I have always struggled with who I am. Self-identity and all that junk. *shrugs* Sure, it's a common thing, right...Right? *smiles* I know that God wants me to be a youth pastor, and that is who I am becoming but also God has created me with many other talents for which I am very grateful. I say that with humility, but my point is that I have always struggled with my love of the arts, writing, drawing, painting, designing, videography, photography, music and the such. How can I ever fill the image of "youth pastor" if I had a deep love of all these other things. Would people really see me as a capable youth minister? I realize I shouldn't care what people think in this situation. Heres what I became aware of: I am who I am. God has made me with passions for all of these things. The point is that I glorify Him through them all. Granted, socially and professionally I cannot fill all these positions, but God knows my dreams...my thoughts before I even think them. He will actually lead me as I trust Him and I've already seen some of my dreams re-birthed. Thank you God.

"I seldom went to bed before two or three o'clock in the morning, on the theory that if anything of interest were to happen to a young man it would almost certainly happen late at night." -E.B. White

So here we are in the early hours of Monday morning, working through the night on the video project. I must say when someone asked me last night how many hours we had put into it, I cannot honestly say. It would take me a couple minutes to actually count it. What we do promise is a professional looking video. It's been a long road full of many difficulties, but God has helped us. I'll be so glad when this project is over.

Back to work.

-Sam

1 comment:

Alanna said...

Sam,
I encourage you not to compartmentalize being a youth pastor in one box and your other interests in another box. Your love of photography, videography, music, etc. will only enhance and make you a better, more equipped youth pastor. God hasn't gifted you, and then in turn, not allow you to use your gifts. Just because you are the youth pastor, doesn't mean you won't be helping out videoing church events, putting together picture presentations, writing devotionals, painting sets for dramas ... Sam the possibilities are endless! Like I said before, your other talents will only add to your ministry, and no doubt you will challenge and encourage your teens to be the best they can be with the abilities God has given. Anyway, this is long, but just sharing my heart. Keep at it -- You make me proud!