Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cherries, Fireworks, Doughnuts and Nails

Well we're 12 days into summer and a little over 2 weeks before that highlight of my summer: AYC. A new fruit season has hit our home and my life.


Pop, my grandfather has two large cherry trees in his backyard so my family went and picked a heaping bucket each. Only one bucket equals to 16 cups of cherries, or 4 pies. You do the math. I enjoyed picking. I had the step ladder and was grabbing handfuls at a time. Ocassionally I would eat them as I picked, oh so sour and delicious! Now that the strawberries are gone we will be eating cherry pies for a little while. My mom even made a cherry dessert that is hiding in the fridge for consumption tomorrow.

Tomorrow happens to be the 4th of July that millions of Americans celebrate with two very wonderful things: food and fireworks. I am not a huge patriot of any sorts, but I love my country and don't mind grilling out and watching colorful explosions in the sky. Funny how this is the only national holiday that is more typically called by the date instead of the name. I vote for 25th of December, and we start calling this Independence Day.

The doughnut post was a little humor that I composed when Keith came over Tuesday night. We practiced the ever familiar Bomb Squad skit that we did in church last night. I enjoyed church so much last night. Keith asked that I lead a couple of songs for the adults, which I never do, and was quite a privelege. It was a blessing to see many people responding with worship to God's presence. It's also amusing to see adults get distracted by the same things kids do. But anyway, Keith and I did the doughnut skit. It's humorous, but it packs a punch - a powerful message that is. After this I went over to the youth who were practicing Bible Bowl for AYC which just gets my heart pumping. To close it up Mel had us all go outside and we sang several songs that I led on the guitar. It was beautiful outside, a little distracting, but a needed break that was fun and worshipful.

I'm beginning to think that I am accident prone, as before I was not totally convinced. I think I am now. I fell out of a tree. Josh and I were building a tree fort/deer stand in the woods at our campsite. I had built the steps and put two 2x4's across the tree limbs. Next I placed 2x12's of different length across this for a platform. I began nailing. One hit, two hits, boom! The platform gave way. I fell fifteen to twenty feet to the ground scraping myself on the way down. If I would have had warning I would have jumped or fallen away from the tree, but with no warning my natural instinct was to try to stop myself or slow myself down which only ended in pain. I sustained abrasions and lacerations to my forearms, upper arms, chest and legs.





Problem: incorrectly nailing one of the essential cross beam boards. I learned my lesson and might finish this project once I heal. *grimace*

Not sure why you enjoy reading
But I enjoy writing
Much happiness to all

-Sam

7 comments:

Blog of a College Student said...

hey, it was good 2 hear from you! enjoying summer? r ya lookin 4ward 2 school yet? well have a good 4th!

Alanna said...

Gracious! Must you go and climb trees and build deer stands in the summer? :) Very sorry - the pics made me hurt, but I'm sure it hurts worse being the victim. lol

Leanna said...

I gotta admit I'm laughing and thinking "Missie" as I look at the pictures of your impressive scrapes. This totally reminds me of the moped incident. I hope you heal quickly.

Angie said...

Poor Mr.Sam!! You should know better than to fall out of a tree. You are supposed to climb down out of them!! Even I know that!!!!
Sorry you got hurt!! Tho your ditty describing the extent of your injury sounded quite impressive.
Have a good weekend!!

Ike said...

Hey, man, at least you were doing something (sorta) productive!

Me, I just ran full speed into a picnic table, chasing (as if you couldn't guess) a frisbee!


Stuff hurts.

Dorcas said...

OUCH!! That's not good, Sam!! You must be more careful :o))

Sarah said...

Sam, wow that must hurt. I'm sorry. The pictures made me cringe. Hope you heal quickly.