Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tales from Summer

So I'm reading my Psychology textbook during the summer so that I don't have to read it during my busy fall semester schedule. Anywho, I have Adriana next to me to interpret all these big words. I learned a new word today: Confabulate. It's starting to get interesting. I'm on chapter two and it's talking about the brain and its parts, systems, functions and developments. Who knew Psychology could be so interesting? God certainly made the human body complex. It's fascinating.

I love my brother. We just had a severe thunderstorm roll through, and I was sitting reading while he was sitting at the computer online. A bolt of lightning made an extremely loud crash and the thunder pealed in response. So then Jon turns to me and asks, "Do you think I should turn off the computer?" I told him yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'm just sitting here smiling and raising my eyebrows thinking about it.

All three of us boys went outside on the front porch and watched the rain fall and the yards flood. We got a bunch of rain. Joshua even went out running in the rain for fun. We were standing there enjoying the storm, when all of a sudden we jumped as we heard a huge crack, while we simultaneously saw a bright flash of lightning about 500 yards away. It was extremely loud! I was like, "Whoa!" Apparently, the closer lightning is to you, the louder it is when it strikes. I told my brothers I wondered what it would sound like if it struck in our front yard or the field across from our house.

Worked today, several hours: smashing apart concrete, blocks and brick. I worked with my great-uncle and brother today breaking up a concrete patio and laying a block wall. It was in bad need of repairs with cracked and crooked slabs of concrete. We even found and killed a groundhog burrowing underneath a corner slab when we started. It was very hot and it was very hard work, but we didn't work too long and after a nice hot shower I feel like a new man.

Oh yea.

-Sam

2 comments:

Alanna said...

So I looked up the word confabulate and saw that it has a regular meaning as well as a meaning in psychology. I miss confabulating with you. Ok that just sounds weird! lol We had a thunderstorm tonight too, and lost another part of one of our trees. This make the third time we lost a branch out of our trees. The first time we lost a tree and large sections out of the other three. They are Bradford pears and I guess they are not very sturdy in the wind. And I don't think you want to find out how loud lightning sounds if it struck in your front yard!! :)

Alanna said...

naw - I just happened to take pictures - I wasn't even thinking about blogging!! :P You caught me -But don't you do the same thing sometimes? Do something for blogging sake? lol