Saturday, April 5, 2008

Self-Discipline

A refreshing mist is falling outside.
Just enough to make [her] hair sparkle
And to make me feel alive inside
Or maybe it's just adding to the joy I already feel



I went to the library today to do some homework and to blog a little bit. The misty rain was so refreshing while I was walking that I just wanted to talk a long walk in it, or just sit and enjoy it. I was thinking this morning during my devotions why those verses Dr. Brown shared with us are so important. They allow us to daily become God-focused. Psalm 34:1: "I will bless THE LORD at all times, HIS praise shall continually be in my mouth." Psalm 118:24: "This is the day THE LORD has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." Those verses involve focusing on God and a conscious choice to glorify Him. There is nothing more dangerous than to focus life on ourself.

Today in chapel Mr. Glick spoke on self-discipline: that dreaded subject, and antithesis of the self-centered nature, that thing to which I give a grimaced smile. Today, however, I eagerly anticipated this and actually took notes. Here you go: 2 Peter 1:5-6 - What would your life be like if you developed more self-discipline?

➊ Your spiritual life will flourish
▩ Whatever it means we will have to do it. Sometimes the only thing that stands between you and God is self-control
➋ Your health will improve
▩ Exercise, diet, health - 3 John 2
➌ Your academics will be acceptable
▩ The less reading, writing and schoolwork the happier we are. Let's stop goofing off, socializing and buckle down -
2 Timothy 2:15
➍ Your abilities will be maximized
▩ God gives us talents and then expects us to maximize it with self-control
➎ Your finances will be in order
▩ A self-disciplined person will know between needs and desires.
➏ Your relationships will be pure
▩ [Young people] don't fail [in relationships] because they're immoral or overtly evil, they just play with fire and go into situations they know will not be good for them.
➐ Your temper will be tamed
▩ Be slow in getting angry - Ephesians 4:26-27
➑ Your words will be moderated
▩ Our tongues reveal what we think and who we are - James 3
➒ Your priorities will be right
▩ You'll know what's important and you'll do it. You can't be a success and do your own thing
➓ Your life will be balanced
▩ Pray, study, sleep exercise, socialize

However, not wanting to stop short, Dr. Phil initiated a discussion in our 4th period ministerial meeting on practical application of this subject. We talked about alarm clocks and various things, but the most important things to think about in discipline are these: values, benefits, consequences, grace, and response. To answer the question, "Now what?" in response to the message here are five things we must think about: [1] Values. What do I value? (Make a list!) Where is this particular action on my list of values? You are generally highly motivated to do what you highly value. [2] Benefits. What are the benefits to disciplining myself, especially in any action? e.g. waking up! [3] Consequences. What consequences will I pay if I do not discipline myself? Where will I end up as a result of the lack of self-control? [4] Grace. Pray for grace (the desire and power to do God's will). [5] Response. Respond to the grace that God gives us to discipline ourselves and live for His glory.

"People avoid pain and seek pleasure." However if we will endure temporary periods of pain, our long term pleasure will be much greater. For example, when excercising (spiritually and physically) it is painful the first time we work out but if we want a certain result we will endure that pain to achieve anything. Reminds me of those people with prosthetic legs who win races.

Cognitive dissonance. Here's where we fall short: the habituation of the actions we willfully choose to do. Amidst those things we purpose to do, lie shortcuts and unknown trails which we often dangerously take. They are simple trailposts of self-indulgence, billboards that advertise laziness in flashy colors, neon signs that spell out "Lackadaisical", trailheads that make complacency look good, and city limit signs for 'Apathy City'.

Personally that's the easiest thing for me to do: not to discipline myself. But life revolves around discipline, and without it we are nothing! Here's a quote we were given in the meeting: "The test of your character is what it takes to stop you."




Enough said.

-Sam

2 comments:

Alanna said...

You stole my idea -- I was going to write down my notes from the chapel service too! Self-discipline is one of my biggest hang-ups. That chapel was just for me. It's just like he said that you have to grab yourself and do what you know you need to do!! Good blog. Loved the push - up pictures...exactly how I feel! :)

Leanna said...

Looks like your pushups go as well as mine do:) btw I loved your "breaking news" story on the potential GBS couple, but I have to admit a dating service run by the guys dorm is a little scary. Keep us posted with how your research and "couple-spotting" goes.